Zoological Society of East Anglia
QUALIFIED ANIMAL KEEPER VACANCY
The successful candidate will work under the leadership of our Lead Qualified, Assistant Head and Head Keepers, providing the best possible care and management for our diverse collection of animals. Taxa include primates, felids, canids, large hoofstock (including giraffe), small mammals and birds.
- Provide the highest level of husbandry according to the needs and requirements of the animals in your care
- Effectively handle animals to minimize stress and risk of injury to all involved
- Assist in the supervision and development of staff responsible to the role to address staff learning and development needs and promote a positive working environment
- Ensure a positive impression of yourself and the company is presented to all customers (internal and external) at all times to reflect the quality of the organisation
- Monitor compliance within the department of policies and procedures in relation to administration and health and safety to ensure they are appropriately followed
- Continuously develop yourself through appropriate learning and development activities as agreed by line management in order to deliver excellence
- Undertake other tasks as required by your line management
You are expected to have worked full time in a zoo environment for approximately 4 years. You MUST possess the Advanced National Certificate in the Management of Zoo Animals (ANCMZA) or Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals (DMZAA) and have experience working with some of the taxa identified above.
The successful candidates will also be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and have an understanding and interest in modern zoo animal management, including animal enrichment and training using operant conditioning methods.
A full driving licence is essential and candidates are expected to be computer literate with a reasonable understanding of Microsoft Word and ZIMS although training in ZIMS can be provided if necessary.
Based at Banham Zoo you will work an average 40 hour week with every 3rd weekend off, however, working hours will be flexible and include occasional evenings. Some additional weekend cover may be required to provide holiday cover.
We are a charity that has a mission to connect communities to nature for conservation through our work at Banham Zoo and Africa Alive (and further afield).
If you would like an opportunity to join a fantastic team please download an application form from our website and send it (preferably by email) with a covering letter, explaining why you would be a suitable candidate for this position to:- Mike Woolham, ZSEA Ltd (Banham Zoo), The Grove, Banham, Norfolk NR16 2HE or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This post will remain vacant until filled.