ANIMAL TRAINER AND PRESENTER VACANCY
(February to October)
This is an exciting opportunity to join our ‘Amazing African Animals’ (AAA) presentations department at Africa Alive!. This is a temporary full-time vacancy for a Trainee Animal Trainer and Presenter on a fixed term contract running from 1st February to 31st October 2020.
AAA provided in-house animal presentations at Africa Alive! for the first time this year and are looking to grow the Amazing Animals presentations at Africa Alive! for 2020. Working to support the small Animal Training and Presenting team, you will be required to provide the best possible care and management for the diverse collection of animals on the training and presentation department. The successful candidate should be able to conduct presentations to the agreed standard on a daily basis at either collection if required.
This position is based on a temporary full-time contract and will run from 1st February to 31st October 2020.
Please note that no accommodation is offered with this role.
- Ensure a high level of care for all animals and birds.
- Deliver quality animal presentations that include our key messages to guests at Africa Alive!, ensuring that they are fun and educational.
- Collect relevant animal information and report back effectively to your senior/s. Keep up to date, accurate animals records for all stock in your care.
- Ensure work practices are carried out with the highest consideration for the animals and birds in your care.
- Provide excellent customer care and ensure customer satisfaction at all times.
- Ensure and encourage the highest level of safety for public and colleagues at all times, by operating in accordance with the Zoo Health & Safety Policy and Procedures.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate animal training experience relevant to the Amazing African Animal displays and be familiar with positive operant conditioning. In addition to this, and a key requirement for the role, are excellent communication and public presentation skills.
Working under the direction of the Animal Manager you should already have one years’ experience working with and training animals, preferably with some exotic animal training. An animal care related qualification/s would be an advantage, but more important is the desire to interact both formally and informally with our guests at every opportunity, providing an additional educational experience that enhances their visit.
You must be prepared to work with all kinds of domestic and exotic species and you will also provide support for the rest of the training team. Applicants must be hard-working and conscientious, be prepared to work as a team and expect to work weekends, Bank Holidays and occasional evenings. A full driving licence is essential – whilst the role is based at Africa Alive!, candidates may be required to travel to Banham zoo.
If you would like an opportunity to join our team for the summer, please download an application form from our website and send it with a covering letter, explaining why you would be a suitable candidate for this position to :- Terry Hornsey, Animal Manager, ZSEA Ltd (Africa Alive!), Whites Lane, Kessingland, Suffolk, NR33 7TF or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is 7th December 2019 – applications made after this date will not be considered.